- Created: 02 December 2014
- Hits: 4540
After high school, Michael enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1975. Following his military service, he studied psychology and politics at Elgin Community College, receiving his A.A. in 1985. Continuing his studies, Michael received his B.A. in political science from Northern Illinois University, and then on to Northern Illinois University College of Law, where he received his J.D. in 1989, while serving as class President . That same year, he opened The Law Offices of Michael D. Smigiel, Sr. P.A. in Elkton, Maryland.
Michael served in the Maryland House of Delegates from 2002 through 2014, and received the following awards, among others too numerous to mention here:
- 2014 “Defender of Freedom Award”
- An “A++” rating from Oath Keepers (The only A + + given and highest rating in the Legislature) for upholding his oath to the Constitution in 2014
- A 100% rating from the National Federation of Independent Businesses in 2014
- An “A+” rating from the NRA in 2014